Boosting the signal:
Job offer: Lecturer in philosophy
Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies
Faculty of Arts, Charles University
The Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies, Faculty of Arts, Charles University invites applications for one full-time three-year position at the lecturer level (starting at AP2 in the Czech scale), beginning October 1st 2018.
Info about the department: http://ufar.ff.cuni.cz/10/about-our-department
The area of specialization for the position will be medieval philosophy possibly with another area of specialisation.
Responsibilities for the position include:
- teaching philosophy courses at the undergraduate as well as graduate level: 7 courses (course = 90 min per week) in one academic year (academic year = two terms), i.e. 3 courses in one term, four courses in the other term
- supervising students
- student’s examination
- contributing to the curriculum development as appropriate
- establishing and maintaining independent research
- participating in the academic life of the department
- PhD in philosophy or a related field
- teaching experience
- publication record
- working knowledge of Latin (the curriculum includes Latin reading classes)
- excellent command of English (or Czech) both in writing and speaking; knowledge of Czech is not required but working knowledge of it is expected after two years (in the case the contract should be prolonged); good knowledge of one other language (preferably German or French)
Conditions of employment
The Faculty of Arts offers a salary up to 30 000 CZK with possibility of further increase depending on the research outcomes of the employee. The Faculty covers social and medical insurance according to EU regulations. According to the university rules the contract can be prolonged after three years; the prolongation is either for another period of three years or tenure. The probationary period is three months.
Starting date: 1st October 2018
You may apply for this position until 15th March 23:59h / before 16th March 2018 Prague local time. Submission by mail or in person: the application with all its attachments can be sent by mail or delivered in person to the following address: Hana Vamberská, Human Resources Dept., FF UK, nám. Jana Palacha 1/2, 116 38 Praha, Czech Republic
Submission by e-mail: the application with all its attachments can be sent by e-mail to the address email@example.com.
The application must include the following:
- a cover letter containing your motivation for the position
- cv and list of publications
- the names and contact details of two referees and an indication whether we can contact them at this stage
- a sample of a written work that is relevant to this position, not more than 10 000 words; it may be a published or unpublished sample and may be an extract from a longer piece
- teaching evaluation (if available)
- suggestion of a syllabus for an undergraduate course on medieval philosophy (two terms, 20-24 lectures (one lecture = 90 min); the aim of the course should be introduction to medieval philosophy (possibly its sources and impacts on later tradition) for philosophy students on BA level
The application process will be in two rounds. The committee appointed by the dean of the Faculty of Arts decides in the first round on the basis of submitted materials. The candidates invited for the second round will be asked to (a) deliver a public lecture in the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies, Faculty of Arts, Charles University and (d) be available for an interview with the committee.
The shortlist of candidates for the second round will be available by early April 2018; lectures and interviews are scheduled for late April and early May 2018.
For additional information you can contact:
Dr. Jakub Jirsa, Head of department, firstname.lastname@example.org (job profile and academic matters)
Hana Vamberská, email@example.com (application procedures)